Steps for getting EAD for L2 dependants
L2 visa holder can work in USA, with a EAD card. An approved EAD allows you to work.
Below are the steps
- E-file I-765 your application online or Download and Complete Form I-765 , Application for Employment Authorization Online(https://efiling.uscis.dhs.gov/efile/)
- After completing the required instruction you can pay the money using your bank account online
- Filing fee – $380( As of June 24, 2010).
- Once the document is submitted you will get an email which will have the confirmation receipt and the next set of instructions
You need to send the below documents to the USCIS office through a USPS registered post after submitting the link online(address to which the documents needs to be sent is given on the acknowledgement receipt sent in the email)
- Covering letter
- Copy of receipt
- Two identical color photographs.
- Copy of your current passport
- Copy of the USCIS Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Document issued to you when you entered the U.S.
- Copy of L1 petition , I94 as a evidence that you are a spouse of the principal visa holder
Some of the additional documents that i sent were
- Two marriage snaps
- I sent the deputation letter that my company had given me
Basically i was trying to send all the documents that my spouse took to consulate for stamping. it might not be needed but i did not want to take any risk
Within 1-2 weeks you will get a letter from USCIS by post which will acknowledge your application and also schedule an appointment to take the biometrics at any of USCIS biometric center located near your postal address that has been given to you. After biometrics is done, you just have to wait for the EAD document. when we went for biometrics it did not take much time as everything was scheduled properly
Once card is approved you will receive a EAD card as given in above pictures. The validly period of this EAD depends on the primary L1 holders L1 status, if the spouse lost his/her L1 status , the L2 becomes void and hence the EAD becomes invalid too. In our case we got 2 years validity and my visa is valid for 3 more months.
Also remember that for getting employment EAD card and SSN card is needed. You can start both the process same time incase SSN card is not present
You can get some help at the below link
You can Check EAD Status online @ USCIS using receipt number Or call National Customer Service Center 1-800-375-5283
If you do not hear from USCIS in 90 days, you can go to the nearest USCIS by clicking on infopass appointment