‘Yellowstone National Park’ is a perfect place on the planet to take my family due to its great natural beauty. Every time I heard about it from my friends, my eagerness to re-visit the place increases. Having worked in multiples concrete jungle cities, I enjoy spending time in nature’s arm. When the plan comes on deciding the hard-earned vacation, it is important that family outing is such a place where all of us are entertained. I believe that
HappyTravellers = Beautiful place + Satisfied Family + Good Healthy Food+ Happy Heart + Fun
will lead to Long lasting sweet memories.
I would like to start my journey from San Francisco driving through the famous golden gate bridge and recording our moments through our camera at different points. Since stopping at the bridge is not allowed I would take a SF Bay cruise so that we can enjoy the majestic bridge view and enjoy the seafood at famous fisherman warf.
The next stop while driving will be the famous Utah salt lakes. This area is combination of Smell and beauty while driving through Utah lakes road. Bonneville Salt Flats is famous in northwestern Utah. A chance to visit the famous Morton Salt, which began over 160 years ago, would be a great historical adventure that started during the gold rush of 1849.
Driving through the beautiful landscape of Utah, the next stop will be the beautiful mountains. The Majestic mountains of Grand Teton National Park welcome and make the journey more mesmerizing as Yellowstone park nears. With one hand on the driving wheel, It will be difficult to be silent watcher. I will stop by and cherish the beautiful mountains of Grand Teton. These Mountains remind me of majestic Himalayas.
As Yellowstone Park approached, the sight of Teton Mountains becomes rare. However, Yellowstone River along with its landscape starts becoming clearly visible. Stops at various points for clicks with different angles is a must. The famous “The Roosevelt Arch” at north entrance is definitely my first stop at the park since it will save time during the remaining trip and exit can be through other points at the park. The top of the arch is inscribed with a quote from Act of 1872 created for Yellowstone, which reads “For the Benefit and Enjoyment of the People.”
Once inside the park, it is always confusing since Yellowstone National Park is vast and varied. The visit to below places based on our interest is a must:
- Old Faithful Geyser/Upper Basin: Famous Geysers eruptions are a must watch at this place.
- Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone: Breathtaking Lower Falls of the Grand Canyon at Yellowstone are 308 feet high.
- Hayden Valley: This valley has multiple wildlife’s of Yellowstone, which can be enjoyed while driving. Herds of bison, scattered elk (and the occasional herd), and the occasional grizzly bear waterfowl, including ducks, Canadian geese and pelicans, swimming in or lounging near the Yellowstone River on both sides of road.
- Mammoth Hot Springs: Headquarters of Park with lot of history. Seemingly ever-present elk grazing on the green lawns of Mammoth Village and Mammoth Hot Springs Terrace is quite interesting to watch.
- Yellowstone Lake : Largest high altitude lake, it is a pleasure to watch. Shoreline is vast with multiple beautiful sceneries such as snow-capped mountains is a pleasure to watch.
- Norris Geyser Basin : Home to Parks most popular geyser basins Echinus (one of the Park’s most popular geysers) and Steamboat (the world’s tallest geyser). In addition, there are several miles of boardwalks from which you can explore dozens of multi-colored thermal features.
- Lamar Valley : Home to bison, elk, coyote, grizzly and wolf, and is must-visit area for serious wildlife watchers and photographers. In fact, Lamar Valley is the #1 destination for viewing wolves. There are also abundant fishing opportunities in the Lamar Valley.
- Tower Fall : This is the most popular waterfall in Yellowstone other than the Lower Falls of the Grand Canyon.
- Lower Geyser Basin : The largest geyser basin in area, in Yellowstone National Park. It covers approximately 11 square miles. By comparison, the Upper Geyser Basin only covers about one square mile. Because of its large size, the thermal features in the Lower Geyser Basin tend to be clumped in widely spaced groups.
- West Thumb Geyser Basin : this basis features some interesting thermal features, including several which are in Yellowstone Lake itself. It also offers a good view of the Lake.Several hiking trails begin at the basin, and bison, elk and bears frequent the area.
Yellowstone has lot of activities. During the last visit, we sat quietly and watched. However, this time we wish to enjoy the great diversity of activities:
- Fishing – Native cutthroat trout are the most ecologically important fish of the Yellowstone National Park. I wish we could manage to catch this most prized and highly regarded fish. The park has managed to protect its cultural and natural resources. Fishing in this outstanding scenery will be a dream comes true.
- Boating – Take a permit for boating and enjoy it on most of Yellowstone Lake and on Lewis Lake.
- Wildlife Viewing- Yellowstone’s abundant and diverse wildlife are as famous as its geysers. Watch and click multiple species of mammals, birds, amphibians, and reptiles. Early morning and evening hours are when animals tend to be feed and thus are more easily seen. Hope, I can be lucky to catch lucky glimpses.
- Day Hiking : More than 1000 miles are available for trekking. Visit the wilderness of Yellowstone on foot will be pleasure to watch. Cherishing moments of unpredictable wildlife, , remote thermal areas, cold water lakes, turbulent streams, and rugged mountains with loose “rotten” rock is a challenge which I wish to cover through this hiking.
While returning a stop at the historic Jackson Lake lodge for lunch is a must. The view from window of wide fields surrounding blue mountain lake, with bison wandering close by is amazing. In addition, the picturesque most photographed mountain ranges in the world—the Grand Teton Range is a pleasant treat to watch and click. No doubt if my dream planning executes, it will be my most pleasant journey and perfect dream vacation. Memories are forever. The satisfied faces of my family in past and my heart craving for more, definitely makes this place the most memorable place i wish to visit again in my lifetime.
Slideshow of the clicks from previous visit of Yellowstone
Some of the memorable moments, which I wish to capture in my lens at Yellow Stone Park are
- Bison mom feeding its baby
- Rare Bear coming from the woods to drink water and killing fish
- Prized cutthroat trout
- Beautiful trails which have historical significance along with wildlife
- Document eruption of warm gases, which looks as if it was a timed process
- Herd of bison migrating and greeting us on the road. Strict instructions are there not to touch them, but I could not stop my child in me
Here is some advice to Fellow Readers planning to visit Yellowstone first time
- You get lot of good accommodation inside the Park. However, it is costly. So plan according to your budget. Good hotels are available at multiple entrance of park.
- If Driving early in the morning, then be prepared for stops due to fogs
- When in Yellowstone, sometimes your drive can get long due to presence of wild herds on road
- Carry jackets. You might need them.
- Make sure your tank is full so that you do not have that headache once inside the park.
- While returning from Yellowstone, if you have no plans to visit Grand Teton park, then you can stop at Jackson lake lodge for clicks and also at multiple points on the road while driving.
- Yellowstone has five entrance stations. Based on the year of time you are going, read and plan access at each station since it varies bases on season.
- Make sure you have enough backup of storage for clicks. It is an amazing place and multiple viewpoints, attractions will demand more storage for camera, camcorder etc.
- Avoid multiple stops before entering the Park since it will delay your plan. Some of the visiting points mentioned above have times at which you should be at that point.
- Do make a point to view the famous ‘The Roosevelt Arch’ at north entrance, if you are entering from other entrance.