C – Crystallography year
The International Year of Crystallography 2014 (IYCr2014) is an United Nations observances event to commemorate the centennial of X-ray diffraction and the 400th anniversary of Kepler’s observation that started the research on the role of symmetry in matter.
Here are the major objectives of the IYCr2014 as given on http://www.iycr2014.org:
- to increase public awareness of the science of crystallography and how it underpins most technological developments in our modern society
- to inspire young people through public exhibitions, conferences and hands-on demonstrations in schools
- to illustrate the universality of science
- to intensify the programme Crystallography in Africa and create similar programmes in Asia and Latin America
- to foster international collaboration between scientists worldwide, especially North–South contributions
- to promote education and research in crystallography and its links to other sciences
- to involve the large synchrotron and neutron radiation facilities worldwide in the celebrations of IYCr2014, including the SESAME project set up under UNESCO auspices
In addition, a photography competition also has been organized to commemorate this event with attractive prizes. More details of this competition are available here http://www.iycr2014.org/participate/photo-competition
If you wish to promote about this event on your blog then you can access the ‘UNESCO brochure-Crystallography matters!’ which are available in different languages. This booklets describe the role of crystallography in the modern world and reiterate the significance of the International Year of Crystallography 2014.
Here is an interesting video on what “What Crystallography Can Do For You”
So Spread the word and participate in this UN event!!