Gardening for me always was an activity that i enjoyed watching. But when the plants blossomed , i used to find a joy that was pleasant. But seeing the hard-work done by my parents/grandparents for a beautiful blossom, i always stayed away from gardening.
However a strange thing happened when i threw a dried marigold into the ground. It sprouted without much of caring. That was my first trigger for taking interest in gardening. Today i would say, i have become much more disciplined in maintaining the garden that i have built in my balcony.
Some of the plants that i have successfully managed to cultivate are
- Tomato – At present i can see small tomato on the plants after two months. Hoping to have a good harvest
- Rose – got three varieties. experimenting the art of making them survive and be healthy
- Mint – Probably the least interference needed. Below is the picture of our first harvest from one pot after 3 weeks
- Curry leaves(kadi patta) – Got these plants from a friend in a bad state. Managed to keep these plants alive and spur growth
- Chilly : Was able to germinate plants from seed. Hoping for a successful harvest
- Coriander : Was not able to good results on this plants. Seeds are not germinating. Planning to give up
- Fenugreek seeds : Experimented last week. Got good germination in one week
- Marigold : Had a good harvest last week. New plants have germinated. Hoping to see a good growth and harvest
- Other flowers : got some plants from local nursery last week to see if i can maintain them organically. Having challenges
Some gardening Lessons i learnt the hard way apart from not being able to keep my balcony clean are
- Old leaves can act as a good compost. But i need to make the leaves smaller and then put them in the pots
- Too much watering can spoil the plants. Be careful. Each plant is different
- Mixture of egg shells and banana are good for plants according to some experts. Waiting to see the results of it
- Water collected after washing rice and dal can be a good manure to the plants. I use this water once a week
- A combination of natural soil and potting mix ( MahaGro Premium Potting Mix or Divine Tree Pot Mix) is good rather than just having Pot mix. I saw that plants grew initially good in Potting mix but later on they started drying
But as my experiments become stronger, i want to make sure the plants survive and remain healthy. Ants are troubling. While some leaves turn dry soon. I also noticed that some flowers bud take time to blossom compared to their predecessors.
Keep watching this space. I will share more tips that i learn from my gardening experience. The credit of my learning also goes to google since i rely on it for a solution each time i face a new problem. Friends and family are yet to be consulted. Well my journey continues and hope to share it through my blog soon 🙂
Would love to hear your gardening experience?